Monday, November 12, 2007

Tarina Simon is new Rising Star

Congrats to Tarina Simon of Dominica, who on Saturday was announced as the winner of Digicel's Rising Stars competition in the Eastern Caribbean.

Along with the title, Simon was the recipient of US$10 000 and a record contract compliments C.R.S records.

According to the Barbados Advocate, the newly crowned starlet shed tears of joy as she expressed heartfelt thanks to the voters of the Eastern Caribbean. "I am going to give you [the Eastern Caribbean] the best year of my life. I am so touched that you devoted your money and your time to make me number one," said Simon.

Placing second was Antiguan Daina Barnes, who received a trophy and a cheque for US$5 000.

Although I had my concerns about the latest installment of the Rising Stars competition, I continued watching to see if the person who I considered the strongest competitor would win, or if she would fall by the wayside because of a lack of votes. Thankfully, Tarina was as wildly popular as she was talented, and triumphed in the end.

I don't mean to take anything away from Daina Barnes, though, 'cause she held her own up to the end. To be honest, I thought she had won it after the performance she put down in the Finals. I was blue vex with Tarina, 'cause she waited till the Finals to perform songs that didn't allow her the range she was accustomed to.


Last year's winner Kyron Baptiste (left) almost upstaged Tarina's happy moment, 'cause the crowd went wild when he performed a number of songs, especially when Barbadian entertainer Peter Ram took the stage to perform alongside Kyron on Ram's "I Need A Woman By My Side".

Well done, Tarina. You're talented and have that "It" factor that should take you far. I just hope we see more of you, 'cause I'm still waiting on Kiokya and Kyron's music....

2 comments:

Abeni said...

Kyron has at least two songs on the radio..Love at first wine was the one that came out for carnival.Frankly, am surprised he didn't sing it last night. Kiokya has a gospel single out as well.

Bajegirl said...

Thanks for the info, Abeni. I'll listen out for them.